Missed Connection Flight
Especially for longer trips to distant countries, it is often not possible to book a direct connection. It is particularly annoying if the feeder flight is delayed and you therefore miss the connecting flight. In the event of a missed connecting flight, you are often entitled to compensation of up to €600 per person. Passengers friend checks on the basis of your flight data whether you are entitled to compensation in case of a missed connecting flight and enforces your right and claims for you.
Requirements for a successful refund:
- The delay at the final destination must be at least 3 hours.
- Sufficient connecting time has been scheduled.
- The flights must have been booked together: If all flights were purchased in one booking, the airline is responsible for getting you to your destination on time. This is true even if the flights are operated by different airlines.
- The feeder flight departed from the EU or outside the EU but landed in the EU and was operated by an airline with a headquarter in the EU.
This is what you should do if you have missed your connecting flight:
- Request written confirmation from the airline.
- Collect the most important evidence such as photographing the ticket and flight schedule.
Amount of compensation
Travelers have these rights in the event of missed connecting flights:
Long waiting times at the airport
If the flight is delayed for at least 2 hours, you are entitled to on-site assistance in the form of food and drinks.
Flight delayed for more than 3 hours
If you miss your connecting flight because the feeder flight was delayed and you arrive at your destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation of up to €600 per person, according to the EU Air Passenger Rights Regulation.
Flight postponed to the next day
If you missed your connecting flight or it was postponed to the next day, you have to compensate the airline for the cost of an overnight hotel stay as well as transportation expenses.
Time is golden – plan properly in advance
Plan enough connecting time
It usually takes a while before you can actually get off the plane. The plane has not yet reached the parking position, the plane stairs are taking a long time to be extended or the bus shuttle is not yet ready. Plan time for all eventualities as well as ways that have to be covered. In order to get an overview of the distances in the airport, we recommend that you take a look at the airport map in advance of your trip. This will give you a better idea of how long it will take to get to your destination.
Unnecessary loss of time should be avoided
If you want to buy a little something for yourself or friends before your connecting flight, keep an eye on the time. The plane will not wait for you and you have an obligation to be at the gate on time for boarding.
|up to 1500 km||1500 km -3500 km||From 3500 km|