Were you denied boarding due to short-term cancellation or overbooking? Landing of your alternative flight is at least 3 hours delayed? In this case you are entitled to a similar level compensation payment as in case of flight delay.
Passengers friend will manage the processing in the event of non-operation of your flight: Use our calculator for assessing your eligibility to claim a refund for your ticket after flight cancellation – it is free of charge, fast and easy.
- We assess your eligibility to claim a refund in case of flight cancellation
- Our travel experts take care of all negotiations
- You will receive the money you are entitled to
Compensation in case of denied boarding
If you are denied boarding you are entitled to similar payments as in case of flight delay. The exact amount of compensation depends on the planned or already journeyed distance:
- up to1500 km: 250.00 Euro
- between 1500 km and 3500 km: 400.00 Euro
- more than 3500 km: up to 600.00 Euro
In the event of cancellation airlines are not allowed to restrict or terminate air passengers’ rights as declared in the EU regulation by means of putting important information into small print.
So you can enforce your rights for:
- all flights departing within EU air space
- flights operated by a EU air carrier that take place from third countries into an EU airport
- non-EU countries such as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland
Our advice for flight cancellation
- Arrive at the check-in desk at scheduled boarding time; if an alternative flight is offered and you miss it, you will not be able to claim a refund.
- Insist on being provided with refreshments, snacks and lodging if you learn about your cancellation.
- Request a written confirmation that the flight was cancelled – in many cases airlines provide the forms.
No right to claim a refund despite cancellation?
The regulation states that you are not entitled to compensation if the following applies:
Bird strike, bad weather – airlines like to use these reasons as having caused the cancellation or delay, since they are exempt from having to pay you money in these cases.
The EU regulation counts heavy storms or natural catastrophes as exceptional circumstances. However, technical defects are often not included and can rarely be proven.
In case of the following exceptional circumstances airlines are not obliged to pay you a refund:
- non-foreseeable safety deficiencies
- strikes (such as pilot strikes or air traffic controllers’ strike)
- airport blockade
- heavy storms
If you are not sure if the exceptional circumstances mentioned by the airline is only a pretext to avoid payment, don’t hesitate to contact us. We assess each and every case individually and free of charge, aided by our contract lawyers. After we have successfully enforced your rights we will get a commission of 36% (incl. VAT).
Deadlines in the event of cancellation
Special deadlines have to be taken into consideration by the airline in the event of cancellation: If you were informed about the cancellation more than 14 days prior to travelling, entitlement to compensation ceases.
At the same time, the airline is supposed to offer you a reasonable alternative. What does that mean? Re-routing should allow you to reach your airport of destination with no more than a short delay.